Online Editor – Nonprofit Quarterly (NPQ)
NPQ, an influential, fast-paced online publication for nonprofits from the Nonprofit Quarterly, is hiring a seasoned online editor.
The successful candidate will be a key member of the team engaged in carrying out an experimental publishing model that delivers current information and analysis to the nonprofit/social sector, in part by engaging volunteers as lay journalists.
The online editor will be one of a core group of publishing strategists and must be willing to work regular evening and weekend hours to ensure that NPQ’s daily publishing goals are met. The online editor will also coordinate the online team, including writing and production staff.
- Edit and post daily newswires and feature articles, including headlines, blurbs, full articles, keywords, and metadata tags;
- Manage daily publishing schedule, including outreach to volunteer writers outside of the organization as well as internal writers;
- Coordinate and cultivate volunteer writer community;
- Convene weekly meetings about scheduled content;
- Monitor news to deliver relevant coverage tips to writers several times per week;
- Monitor analytics related to NPQ’s online publishing;
- Update NPQ homepage and landing pages with new content daily;
- Coordinate outreach efforts to external parties interested in NPQ content via e-mail and work with digital publishing coordinator to assure correct focus of social media posts;
- Collaborate with digital publishing coordinator to assure that technical website specifications align with online editorial needs and wants;
- Help develop online publishing and marketing strategies with editorial and digital team.
Required characteristics and experience:
- Experience in daily online journalism, including rapid editing and fact-checking skills and fluency in investigative journalism work;
- Knowledge of the nonprofit/social sector;
- Knowledge and experience with editing using AP style;
- Experience with providing feedback, guidance, and motivation to writers;
- Strong and proactive verbal and written communications skills;
- Powerful organization skills coupled with a readiness to be flexible;
- Working knowledge of Joomla (or similar content management system);
- Good grasp of social media, mobile content, and an acute curiosity about how to succeed in the ever-shifting media landscape;
- Familiarity with graphics software and an online collaboration tool (such as Basecamp) a plus;
- Experience with search engine optimization important.
Compensation: This is a full-time exempt position. The applicant will be compensated depending on experience.
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief